designmom

A Few Things

December 17, 2010

snowy day parking lot

Hello, Friends! Thank you for the encouraging responses to our big announcement. You guys are wonderful! I haven’t met our landlord in France, but I think she’s wonderful too, because she sends charming emails. This morning she wrote that she was finishing up her Christmas shopping in Paris and that it was especially sparkly this time of year. Lovely!

We’re hoping to seek out some sparkles ourselves this weekend. I hear the Denver Botanical Gardens is lit up in spectacular fashion. While we make our weekend plans, here are a few things I’ve been wanting to share with you:

- There was finally a little snow on the ground this morning! It’s gone now but it reminded me of this image.
- This bright, bold nursery is getting strong reactions. What’s your take?
- Mesmorizing underwater sculpture.
- She’s loving these. And now, so am I.
- A clever way to wrap a giftcard.
- Did you ever go toiletpapering as a kid?
- Lacy lamps.
- I want to try Etsy Taste Test.
- Extracurricular pencils.
- This video is blowing my mind (thanks, Salem):

I write a daily post for Babble’s Family Style blog. Here are this week’s posts:
- Sometimes I miss New York street vendors, but I found a good replacement here.
- My very favorite Christmas Eve gifts.
- Stockings should be filled with these lovelies.
- I’m having such a craving for this color.
- This is what I sent to my Grandma who is in her 90′s.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend, and happen to find a sparkly event on your own schedule. I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

1 Ren Lady Of The Arts December 17, 2010 at 5:11 pm

can’t wait to check out your links- A landlord that is observant of sparkle is my kind of lady!

2 judith December 17, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Love the underwater sculpture video. My girl who is seven watched with me and commented, “Huh. That was weird.” But I thought it was fascinating.

3 sherri/the claw December 17, 2010 at 8:17 pm

love that image. love your links! and love that you are moving to france, i shall vicariously live through you – sounds heavenly…

4 amelia December 17, 2010 at 8:54 pm

Technology is amazing. that translator is incredible.

5 danielle December 17, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Love the brightly coloured nursery, it’s so refreshing. How exciting and romantic to be moving to France! Good luck.

6 Jenny also December 17, 2010 at 9:07 pm

I adore most of the bright nursery and love the colored doors on the dresser as well as the empty picture frames. However, I’m guessing these are first time parent’s since the sheets are way too bright and busy. Since restful sleep is the holy-grail of babyhood sold or very lightly patterned neutral sheets is the way to go. A restless baby in this crib will be looking at that patters and worse yet at about 6 months trying to pick up those circle. I’m all for great design but first and foremost a nursery should be about making it’s little in habitant comfortable. Plus, I am very partial to crisp, clean, white sheets. What could be better?!?!

7 Kate Skogen December 17, 2010 at 10:37 pm

my husband just came home and told me about word lens! it’s amazing!! it’s possible we’re getting temporary relocated to paris for a few months next spring (ok- twist my arm!!) and i’d love to use word lens!
congrats on getting your place in france!! go team blair!

8 Steph at Modern Parents Messy Kids December 18, 2010 at 12:48 am

I would love that nursery if the walls were a nice white background for all the popos of color – too jarring for me as it is now!

9 Ali Rockwell December 18, 2010 at 6:18 am

I can’t believe you are moving to France! How amazing. I can’t wait to see pictures of your house and where you are living and all sorts of things!! I have a feeling France looks about 100 times more beautiful when it is “sparkly”. Lucky you!!

10 Kristen E December 18, 2010 at 7:13 am

That nursery is SO FUN! I really don’t understand how people don’t like it – it’s so colorful, but still very harmonious. I love it!

11 redmenace December 18, 2010 at 10:40 am

I like the nursery. Bold colors are great for little ones! I think everyone is decorating their nurseries lately for themselves and not really for their babies. Hurray for these parents! And, btw, I read your post yesterday. I am delighted for you! Viva La France! xoxoxoxo Maybe we will join you there soon? K and I both lived there in college, but our French skills are a little lacking……

12 ellen patton December 18, 2010 at 3:14 pm

If you grew up in southern California, you went toilet papering. :)

13 christy December 18, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Wow these are ALL amazing Gabby. Seriously – you come up with the best stuff! Thank you!!!

14 Kari December 18, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Gabby, you are a genius. I am sending my Grandma those pears RIGHT NOW – it’s the perfect gift for her and she doesn’t get many these days. Also. I thought it wasn’t possible for you and your family to get any cooler and now you’re completing the dream and moving to France. Are you even real? I am in awe.

15 Chris December 19, 2010 at 5:24 am

yay for fun Christmasy links! Sparkling parisian nights sound absolutely brilliant! What a wonderful Christmas present to your this!

translator = amazing. Wish I had had this a few times in my travels…

16 krys December 19, 2010 at 11:29 am

Congratulations on France. That is so exciting. I think your blog is great.
Happy winter to you.

17 Sherri December 19, 2010 at 9:47 pm

I’m so excited for you and your family! What a fun adventure. I love France and especially the countryside. Normandy is so beautiful… what a great opportunity for you kids.

18 Heidi December 20, 2010 at 3:21 am

Congratulations, Gabrielle! I’m sure your time abroad will be amazing and something you will all talk about for years and years afterwards. Can’t wait to hear all about it :)

19 bdaiss December 20, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Ooo! I might have to adapt the snow globe idea for something fun to do with my 4 year old. He loves snow globes. I can see picking up some dollar store action figures and some small “balls” and making a fun play globe with him.

20 mac December 20, 2010 at 12:46 pm

I was a little disappointed when I clicked the link and found that “mesmerizing underwear sculpture” was actually “mesmerizing underWATER sculpture.” :)

21 Emily @ Merrypad December 21, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Lovely photo of the snow covered ground and tire tracks. I thought it was a painting.